Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Superhero Wannabes

The new Greenville Velo kits are here and they are fantastic! At least that's my opinion. I am very pleased to hear that many of my teammates love them too. They are bright and cheery and I love the way they stand out from the crowd. Big thanks to all that helped make this design a success. I want to especially thank Catherine James for her design help. She successfully translated our verbal vision into graphic reality. That's not easy, but it all worked out well.

Some have said that these new kits look like Superhero costumes. I got thinking about that last night and I think it's a pretty decent description. We weren't trying to make superhero costumes when we set out on the design process. We just wanted...well, we wanted just what we got...fun, bright and cheery kits. We did take inspiration from the Marvel Comic world, so I can see how the superhero elements infiltrated our creation. Maybe we're all superhero wannabes in these kits. And, that's not a bad thing.

Think about it. Our cycling apparel is a sort of costume. We're out there putting in miles with danger all around us. We're trying to do good in the world by getting fit or improving our lifestyle or maybe even winning an event. We have foe's that attempt to foil our plan with their evil genius at every turn or climb. Maybe, in our own little way we're wannabe superheroes riding for truth, justice and the American way...or maybe more like watts, miles and dessert at every meal.

I'm sure that some of us even feel like a superhero at times in the peloton. You know what I mean. Those times when you've trained hard. You've prepared well and you know you can take your shot at success at a moments notice. Yeah, when everything goes right you do feel like a superhero...you know without all that rescue the baby or stop the locomotive crap! You're just out on a ride doing what you love. And now, your superhero has a brand new costume.

Be safe...because you're not really bullet proof!

2 comments:

  1. Kudos to the design team, the kits look great! As for the "superhero" part, I rode in my new kit and still had to push "superhard" on the pedals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the kits. Great job to all. The colors are really nice and of course the design. Jim said I looked likd a refreshing piece of spearmint/double mint gum! (That was a compliment)

    ReplyDelete